Tuesday, October 26, 2010

ouch charlie, that really hurt

everytime I watch Charlie bit me, I laugh. And I don't feel bad about it. Contexually, its really funny. But having worked in day care for over two years I have very real life experiences with children biting other children. It's not a laughing matter. Some kids draw blood; others leave bruises that last for weeks. And parents, parents never take kindly to the news that their child was bit or that their child is "the biter". There have been many tense moments staring into a parent's face giving them the news or icing a child's arm wiping their tears. Yet Charlie biting his brother is hysterical to me.

Sports injuries are no laughing matter. Lately there's been a lot of talk about knees and heads. I don't want anyone to get hurt. I am one of the strongest supporters of the NFL's new concussion and helmet to helmet policies. And being a fan of a professional team that can nearly field an NBA team with the number of people they have on injured reserve; there logically should be no reason for me to laugh at a sports injury. And while I didn't laugh, or even chuckle, I would be lying if I said I didn't crack a smile when B Favre ended his super strange post game press conference by grabbing on to the railing and hobbling off stage. I'm not over joyed that he has broken his ankle in two seperate places, but I'm not crushed. This probably makes me a horrible person, but truthfully I'm okay with that.

I admired Favre's toughness for most of the years of my life. From spitting up blood on the sideline versus Pittsburgh to not being able to feel his arm in 2006. From leaving games and havng TJ Rubley fumble the snap and knowing that of course Favre would be back. I don't sit at home at night and wish his start streak would end for any other reason than he finally decides to leave us alone and retire. I would like Favre to take this ankle opportunity and sit. End the streak where it began. Take some time to really evaluate this injury. But Favre doesn't do what I want. He doesn't do what anyone but Favre wants. And so we'll all just have to wait and see what he feels like doing on Sunday. If he does start the game simply to get one snap and then sit, I will be singing a different tune, and probably be driving somewhere to yell or smack someone.

In other news, Friday Night Lights starts up again tomorrow. And I plan to try to do a recap/review for this last season.

No comments:

Post a Comment